01 September 2009

I'm not "joggin", so why is this still "Joggin' for Jenn"?

On January 29, 2006, my dear friend Jennifer lost her battle with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Jenn was 31 years old, a loving mother, caring wife, & loyal friend. In her memory, I dedicated a year of training, racing, and ultimately raising awareness to fight these horrific diseases. “Joggin’ for Jenn” was born.

I ran the Chicago Marathon on October 22, 2006, and raised nearly $6,000 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

I had aches & pains during my training, and it was a battle to cross the finish line of the 26.2-mile course, unquestionably, it could never compare to Jenn’s battle and the challenges she faced every day as a Leukemia patient.

Two days following the Chicago Marathon, I had my 9th knee surgery. My running days are over. But that will not cease my dedication to raising awareness for very worthy causes. Losing Jenn has opened my eyes, and made me live my life one day at a time...and if that means being a "good-deed-doer" and raising awareness for those causes of great interest to me, then that's just what I'm going to do. And I will do it all in her memory.

So while this time around, I'm not "Joggin' for Jenn", everything I do is because of her.

Which brings me to today, and my newest and exciting fundraising effort…the Tour de Cove!

No comments: