13 October 2010

i forgot i had this thing

Yeesh! I haven't updated my blog in over a year. Thanks to a couple of girlfriends who recently started blogging, I was reminded that 1) i actually have a blog, and 2) there is a slight chance that people might actually read it.

So, what's new in the year since i last blogged. Not a whole lot, really. Well, we did finally buy a house, so I guess that's news. Since we moved to San Diego, we've been renting until we could find the right area. We've lived in Poway and Rancho Penasquitos, and loved them both for different reasons. But also for different reasons, neither were a place we would or could buy a house. There is a suburb of San Diego up north called Escondido. By locals, or maybe just us, it's affectionately known as "the Esco". Escondido has good parts and bad parts, like any other town, but I think more rough spots than good ones. So, when we refer to where we live, you can often hear us singing the town's name in an old Elvis tune - "In the Esco..." You figure out the song.

In all seriousness, the house is beautiful. It's truthfully our dream home. Sadly, we now live in a gated community with a homeowners association. Some may think that's great, but really it's just a big pain in the you-know-what. Pat's truck doesn't fit in our garage, so we have to park it on the street. But now we get notices every other week, because parking in the street isn't allowed. Neither is parking in your driveway. Go figure that one. No leaving the garage door open, either. Really, that's all we have to complain about, and we do complain, to anyone who will listen. But other than that, it's fantastic, and we're super happy here.

Work still going great for both of us....both busy, but both happy. My commute is significantly longer now - 45 min on a good day - but it's worth it. Plus, i have a great morning show on the radio that entertains me. For all you locals...if you don't listen to The Mikey Show on 94.9 in the mornings, you should. No, you must. Hysterics, daily.

Earlier this year, we both also trained and completed the San Diego Rock & Roll Half Marathon. Many of you reading this already know of my commitment to the fight against blood cancers. After losing my friend Jenn to Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in Jan 2006, I joined Team in Training to raise awareness about these diseases. We trained for the half marathon with Team in Training and together raised almost $5000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. We completed the race in our goal time, and ran together the whole way. An amazing experience. Especially for Pat, as this was his first long distance race. I think he's hooked :)

As you also probably know, I really shouldn't be running. So, after taking some time off after the race, I'm back to training for a "safer" event - the CAF Tour de Cove. The TdC is a 4.5 hour spin-a-thon that raises funds and awareness for the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Learn more about CAF here .

I heard about this event last year at my gym, who is a main sponsor. I love spinning and I love fundraising, so thought it sounded fun. Well...it was! I had a blast. I trained well, and completed the event, having raised almost $2500 for the CAF. I had so much fun last year, I decided to do it again this year. No, it's not LLS, but it's still raising awareness for a very worthy cause. I have learned so much about CAF and the challenged athletes, and how much this organization can do to help a challenged athlete, i couldn't pass it up. The TdC is less than 2 weeks away, and I'm just about 50% of my fundraising goal - so if you're reading this, and have 5 minutes and $5, please help out a challenged athlete by donating here .

To get ready for the Tour, I've been spending a lot of time at the gym. I work out with my personal trainer, Tori, on Wednesday and Fridays. Wednesday is double-duty day - I do bike work at noon, then back in the evening for core and strength by way of BOSU training. Wednesdays are rough, but I love them all the same.

Fridays are strength training. Lots of work on TRX and Gravity . If you need a killer workout, and you have access to either or both, I highly recommend them.

Tori is a fantastic trainer and motivator. She's working on something that is pretty damn cool, and I'm helping her where I can. Not quite ready to share yet, but when I can, I will.

And that's about it for news lately. Today is Wednesday, so I'm at home (another bonus - my awesome company lets me work from home on Wednesdays so it's easier for me to get to training!). Unfortunately, on this particular Wednesday, the homeowners association started repainting some of the houses in the 'hood, including my next door neighbors. No biggie, right? Wrong. Not when you have 3 dogs that like to bark at the painters. Ugh. It's it gym time yet?

For anyone who actually read this, thanks. This blog has evolved and revolved through many stages through it's existence, and I don't know that I'll ever keep it focused on one thing or the other, but thanks for reading my brain anyway. And remember, if you have 5 minutes and $5, donate to the CAF to help a challenged athlete reach their dreams!

Until I remember to write again....
Love & Blessings,
karin

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey Karin!!!

OMG, we have a homeowners association too and we HATE it. We too will complain to anyone who will listen. LOL We were already unhappy with them but when we received notice that the weeds in our yard were too high, that was the straw that broke the camels back. Why do you ask? Because the yard was covered in SNOW the day we got the notice in the mail! Yep, people were out cutting their grass with snow on the ground because of the HOA. We are not fans.

I'm glad that things are going well for you. I hope you keep up with your blogging! I'm trying my best to blog every couple of days, so we'll see how it goes. :-)